4.24.2012

Us Against Them

I'm worn out, with that mentality.  With this "us against them" thinking. Mostly because I'm not sure who everyone is classifying as "us" and who is "them."  If I'm defining it the way I feel most people think of it, maybe I'm both.  Maybe I'm an us, for the past two years, and a them at my core.  Maybe I am a "halfsie" like it's been said.  Maybe I'm only part "us."

Maybe that's true. Maybe I'm mistaken.
But I think the reality is that every person on this Earth today is an "us."  That "they"--the third--lost; that we're left with Satan's influence, but that each of us, at one point or another, chose Heavenly Father.  No matter how much we screw up here on Earth, we chose Him.  We chose this experience.  We chose this life--this plan.
It just takes some of us a little longer to remember we're part of the "us."  It takes some of us a little longer to remember how much we, at one point, loved the plan.
Maybe the truth is that it took me those nineteen years to remember that I love the Lord, and that I am here to grow and to glorify His name.
But I don't feel that makes me weak.  I don't see that as a flaw. I don't see being a so-called "convert" as an awful thing at all.
I learned. I grew. It makes me fight harder. It brought wonderful people into my life. It taught me self-discipline, and how to be independent. & every single day, it blesses me more and more.  Through every challenge, I learn how to better love His people.
I was an "us" all along.  I just forgot to live that way, for my first few years.
& remembering has made me stronger.

I believe in Christ.  I believe that Jesus Christ came to Earth to have this mortal experience, knowing exactly what He needed to do to save me from myself.  I believe that He chose to suffer excruciatingly so that our sins can be washed clean and so when we face trials, the Atonement can make our burdens light.  I know that He loves me, personally.  I know that Heavenly Father wants each of us to return to Him.
& I believe that it is our duty to help our brothers and sisters return to Him, as well.  If we are not working on them, as well as ourselves, we are not doing enough.

My name is Alison, and I'm a convert.
& I don't understand that statement, because I chose Him long before I came to this Earth.  I don't understand how July 17th makes me a "convert" in your eyes.

But I think you've got it all wrong.
& I'm trying my hardest to love you anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment