8.21.2011

one thing is always clear: i am blessed

this morning at church, i heard one of the best talks i've ever heard. it was a member from the family ward, who came to speak at our singles ward, and ohmygoodness, i loved it.
he spoke on happiness, and how to achieve happiness at home [or in our everyday lives, really]. it was seriously the most touching talk and it really got me thinking about the little things i can be doing to make sure i am happy with my life, every day. i think it just really made me realize how incredibly blessed i am, & yet, how much i could improve on personally.
my favorite part of the talk, he told about his brother, who was an alcoholic and an inactive member of the church. he lost his job, and was unemployed for a few years, when he went seeking help from the church. because of that unemployment, and the trials he faced, he is now an active member of the church and has been sealed to his wife for time & all eternity in the temple.
it really made me realize that trials are often, if not always, blessings. that i might whine&complain, but He is teaching me something if i will shut up long enough to listen to Him.
i know that i have definitely grown because of adversity and trials in my life. it has made me a strong-willed person, and has taught me not only how to be okay on my own, but also how to ask someone for help. it has helped me humble myself and go to people when i do need to.
if things were always easy, i would not have learned to trust in Heavenly Father in the way that i have. i would not have grown through my circumstances. i would not be blessed in many of the ways that i am.

i was talking to someone recently, and they told me that "it doesn't matter" about something that really bothers me. they told me something to the effect of "love them and just move forward." & you know what? generally i would say "screw you, it matters to me!" but they were so so right.
i think it's so easy to get caught up in the little things. to stress about something that, to be quite honest, isn't up to you to change. i guess what i'm saying is it's okay to just say "it's not my problem. i will love you no matter what, but this is not my problem."
& that's something i had been failing to do.

i start school tomorrow [yuck]. i'm not overly excited about that, but i am ready to have some sort of routine back and to be able to do things for myself on my time again. :)

to end things, it's definitely time for a grateful list. because, really, when was the last time i did this? [way too long ago. shoot.]
--dr pepper. mmmm....
--the opportunity to go to church this morning
--getting mostly unpacked, and still having some spare time
--a new bottle of fingernail polish :)
--figuring out how to run my brita pitcher, so i don't have to drink this city's nasty chlorine-y water.
--hectic-ness. it makes the calm seem that much better.

2 comments:

  1. i love this post..well done my friend :) ps...keith & i stumbled upon the video one of your friends posted on your wall...it girl i think...and the sound on my computer doesn't work, so keith wispered the words trying to be all sweet..it came out super creepy! i encourage you to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA. Oh my gosh, the next video I get on my wall had better be of Keith whispering me this song. I just laughed so hard trying to picture that. Miss you, & I hope you are all doing fabulously! Give Keith & the babes hugs for me.

    ReplyDelete