12.14.2011

prettypretty please hurry the h up.

If the children don’t get a bit calmer, soon, I might pull every single strand of my hair out. They were that crazy, today. I know they’re only 6 & 7 years old. But today I wanted to say, “Listen, babes. I know this means nothing to your brains but IT IS FINALS WEEK. & I’m stressed the freak out! So please be angels today.” Over. & over. & over.
Examples of my day:
During the math sing-along Boy #1 was being COMPLETELY obnoxious. After a thousand and six warnings, I sent him to the safe seat (aka timeout).  He continued being absolutely out of control. So I took the chair away from him, and had him sit on the floor. & (Teacher of the Year Award) forgot him there, for longer than I’m willing to publicly admit. Oopsies! I completely got sidetracked and just forgot I’d left him there. More on this later.
During writing centers, one boy colored his entire pant leg with marker (let’s hope his momma has some good stain remover).  & then lied to me and said it was an accident. An accident that was, by the way, in the form of stars all over his pant leg. Poor little guy—I hate when markers have a mind of their own and accidentally draw stars all over my pants. That’s the pits. Safe seat #2 of the day.
We also had a little potty mouth in the classroom today. & for those of you who know me well, you know I think that bad words are hilarious. I just do. Terrible habit. You have no idea how hard it is for me not to laugh when his little six-year-old tongue spits out “holy shhh…”  You have no idea how much harder it is to keep a straight face when I remind that we need to use school-appropriate language that doesn’t hurt Miss Davis’ ears.
I also had a ten minute debate with a first grader. Please tell me if I’m incorrect. ;)  We were working on rhyming words.  She needed to think of a word that rhymes with “stop” and write it.” I suggested “hop” and “mop.”  She said, “No, octopus.”  We then debated for ten minutes about what a rhyme was.  She told me words that rhymed with at least 10 other words: “Had?” “Dad.” Etc.  We came back to it.  “What rhymes with stop?”  *GIANT pause* “OCTOPUS!” I surrendered and said, “Let’s just skip that one.”
I’m not a teacher… I’m a mother. Seriously. Today I washed two faces, put hair up in a ponytail, tied shoes, gave out snacks, said “Blow your nose, sweetheart” at least a thousand times, gave a jillion high fives, reminded about inside voices and kind words and being a good friend, and scratched plenty of backs while they worked.
& in some ways, I am like, “Holy cow, I can’t be a mother for a long time. This is so stressful!” & in others, it makes me realize that I want that more than anything.  I love those kiddos.
Some days are just killers.  Some days I want to pull my hair out and cry.  But there are those teensy victories, that make me love the job more than anything.
--Awesome standard scores
--Boy #1 (who I forgot in timeout) gave me a hug, and apologized for his “un-apwop-wee-ut” behavior.  My heart melted a little, and I forgave him in 3 seconds flat.
--Getting a colored picture from one of the kiddos today. My fridge is covered in artwork. & I love it.
--Being told, “I wish I had a shirt just like yours.” From a boy.
--The children were def all medicated today. (Pretty unusual. We’ve usually got several who “forgot” to take their pill.) Blessings.
--“What’s your FAVORITE type of cake??” *pause* “Dragon cake.” (Isn’t that everyone’s?)
--Hugs. Ohh, hugs. I don’t mind that my pants & shirt have weird snot streaks on them. It happens. But those little hugs are the best.
--The kids all think I’m bomb because I do “magic” ties when I tie their shoes and (gasp) THEY DON’T COME UNTIED. (Aka…double knot. Hahaha. It sounds cooler that they’ve all coined them “Miss Davis’ Magic Ties”)

Love my job. Love my life. Time for Christmas break, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment