9.23.2011

general conference! /// {come what may & love it.}

Come what may & love it.

anyone who's been in my room may have noticed this statement scrawled pretty much everywhere. my mirror. my bulletin board. my dry erase planner.
it's my favorite.
it's from a talk by joseph b. wirthlin in the october 2008 general conference. [don't know what general conference is? click here.] it is my absolute favorite talk ever, and i'm pretty positive it always will be. it is about taking what you have and accepting it as the Lord's plan, and loving it--even if it's not what you think you want at the time. this seems to be a pretty constant struggle for me, so to have this talk to constantly refer back to is such a blessing.
i'll post just a couple of my favorite quotes from it. & then the link to the text & the video of it!
enjoy. :)
[ps--expect a talk a day, leading up to general conference. i'm listening to a bunch of old ones & it's getting me super pumped for this year's gc to come around--sat. & sun., oct. 1-2.]

She taught her children to trust in themselves and each other, not blame others for their misfortunes, and give their best effort in everything they attempted.

When we fell down, she expected us to pick ourselves up and get going again. So the advice my mother gave to me then wasn’t altogether unexpected. It has stayed with me all my life.
Joseph,” she said, “come what may, and love it.”


The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable.


Because Jesus Christ suffered greatly, He understands our suffering. He understands our grief. We experience hard things so that we too may have increased compassion and understanding for others.

Remember the sublime words of the Savior to the Prophet Joseph Smith when he suffered with his companions in the smothering darkness of Liberty Jail:
“My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.” 
With that eternal perspective, Joseph took comfort from these words, and so can we. Sometimes the very moments that seem to overcome us with suffering are those that will ultimately suffer us to overcome.

I know why there must be opposition in all things. Adversity, if handled correctly, can be a blessing in our lives. We can learn to love it.  As we look for humor, seek for the eternal perspective, understand the principle of compensation, and draw near to our Heavenly Father, we can endure hardship and trial. We can say, as did my mother, “Come what may, and love it.”


http://lds.org/general-conference/2008/10/come-what-may-and-love-it?lang=eng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVNYhcYEwIE

No comments:

Post a Comment