10.31.2011

strengths & flaws

i am totally stealing this idea [wow, i'm tired, i just typed "eye" and couldn't figure out how to spell "idea." crap.] from another blog. & modifying it a bit to fit my taste. :)


things i'm good at/things i do & do well:

  • I am really good at laughing. Seriously. Like, if you need someone to have really good belly laughs with, call me. 
  • I am really good at going to class. I hate skipping. In college, I consider this a talent.
  • I'm good at feeling. Maybe too good, in fact. My heart goes a little [lot] overboard sometimes. If someone is sad, it's really hard for me not to feel sad, too. [But at the same time, I'm very good at being super ecstatic when someone else is having a good day.]
  • I'm good at doing things just because I think they will make someone else happy.  I'm good at sending cards & remembering half birthdays & texting someone to tell them I was thinking about them. & not because I feel obligated; just because I think it's nice to be nice. 
  • Cuddling. Snuggling. Hugging.
  • I'm good at cheering people on in every day life. If I care about you, I'll be like your own personal little fan club. [Awkward? Maybe. I just don't care.]
  • I'm really good at saying thank you, and reminding people I appreciate them. I think it's important.
  • I'm an excellent lawn mower.
  • I'm really, really good with kids. Like, freaky good. I don't think some people picture that just because I'm so blunt with adults. I just... am different, with kids? It's where I feel the most at ease; kids are my passion & purpose. Without a doubt.
  • I'm good at learning languages. Memorizing vocabulary, patterns, grammar, and putting them to use.
  •  I'm a freakin' awesome rapper. Seriously. Join me, in my car sometime. You'll see.
  • I'm also really good at booty dancing--think as obnoxiously ghetto as it gets. [I'm not so sure my bishop would approve of this talent though. So we'll just say that's my hidden talent?]
  • I'm really good at memorizing movies the first or second time I watch them. I can quote so many movies. Totally useful, right? ;)
  • I'm a good daughter. I love my parents, and I [at least try to] do things that make them proud of me.
  • I'm good at considering other people's feelings. I'm good at talking to someone who looks uncomfortable or shy. I'm good at introducing myself to someone I don't know. I'm good at trying to be aware of and in tune with the people around me's feelings.


things i'm not good at/things i just simply don't do:
  • I never clean up my toothpaste on the edge of the sink when it's still fresh.
  • I have minimal hand-eye coordination.
  • I'm terrible at doing my laundry. Not that I don't know how, just that I procrastinate. I currently have two baskets full and a giant heap of sheets and towels. & I have no intention of doing laundry until I'm out of something.
  • I don't shake hands. I find the concept disgusting. [I know boys just touched their junk, didn't wash their hands, and then shook mine. Ew.]
  • When I cook meals, they don't necessarily "go together."  I just cook whatever sounds good. It doesn't matter if they're random foods, when placed together.
  • &, ok, I'm not a great cook. I tend to ruin at least one thing, each time I cook. But I try!
  • I don't read my scriptures every day. Oops.
  • & I say the majority of my prayers when I'm in the shower. [Is that against some sort of secret rules? Double Oops.]
  • I'm not good at not letting people get under my skin. My feelings get hurt. It's a fact.
  • I'm a terrible driver. You know how boys make fun of girls for being bad drivers? Those awful descriptions are pretty accurate to my [lack of] driving skills.
  • I'm terrible at kissing up to people. & when I try to, it's in a very obviously sarcastic way. I don't have that whole being-a-fake-bword thing down pat. Nor do I care to.
  • I'm THE WORST at being quiet. I tend to say things I probably shouldn't. I talk at a volume that is considered by the general population to be an "Outdoor Voice."  I misplaced my "Inside Voice" approximately 21 years ago, & have yet to find it.
  • I'm also really bad at keeping track of things. Phone, keys, etc.--ALWAYS missing...
  • I am not always the best at being polite. Sometimes I just say what I think, & hope people don't take it too personally.
  • I'm terrible at controlling my giggles. I tend to laugh at inappropriate times.
So I guess the point is, I'm not perfect.
But guess what? I like me. Not everything about me, no. I think I have some things I could work on or change. But I like me.

Today I'm grateful for a Heavenly Father who is aware of me.  I'm grateful for the ability to say, "It's ok, it wasn't personal. Don't take it personally. It doesn't matter."
I'm grateful for the Scriptures. I'm grateful I was able to read them tonight & feel refreshed.
I'm grateful for too-big shirts to sleep in, that smell like a boy. I love boy smell.
I'm grateful for answers.
I'm grateful for that prayer; for that man who said it with that authority. I'm grateful for his patience when I rambled. I'm grateful for being able to sort my thoughts, & not even worry for a second that he was judging me. I'm grateful for their willingness to serve.
I'm grateful for Fruit by the Foot & Dr. Pepper. I'm grateful for heating blankets & snuggly pillows.
I'm grateful for my life; for my safety; for my health.
I know I'm blessed. Sometimes I just forget to say so.
Sometimes I just get so caught up in wondering "Why this?" or "Why me?" that I forget how blessed I truly am. I'm grateful for gentle reminders.
& I'm grateful that I'm going to go lay my head down on my comfy pillow & sleep soundly & tomorrow will be better. I'm grateful for that hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment